The Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation $50,000 Clear View
Submitted by EKFH on 07-12-2012
Cranbrook, BC… The East Kootenay Foundation for Health continues to bring its historical A Clear View ~ digital mammography campaign to a close. One of the key components of the campaign was funding from other charitable foundations, many of whom rose to the occasion.
One such organization is the Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation who generously donated $50,000 to bring the best in digital stereotactic imaging to the East Kootenay Regional Hospital.
With the holiday season upon us, it seems so appropriate that one of the four sons of Mr. Charles Woodward, the founder of Woodward’s stores in BC and Alberta, to have this major gift of $50,000 arrive at EKFH. Charles son, P. A. Woodward maintained an interest and involvement in the family business throughout his life. During the latter part of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Woodward showed interest in helping charitable organizations, generously donating to many.
Apart from the many personal gifts which Mr. and Mrs. Woodward made to charitable organizations during their lifetime, the Woodward Foundation was incorporated by Mr. Woodward in 1951 “to undertake and carry out such charitable objectives as the Board of Directors may decide for the relief of poverty, the advancement of religion, or for other purposes beneficial to one or more communities in the province.”
In 1953, the Foundation’s name was changed to the “Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation” and a priority was established to assist in projects which would contribute to better health care for British Columbians. The value of the assets of the Foundation represent an accumulation of lifetime gifts to the Foundation from the late Mr. and Mrs. Woodward, together with the residue from their estates following the death of Mr. Woodward in 1968 and Mrs. Woodward two years later.
Over the years, in accordance with Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s directions, the Foundation’s Board has concentrated its attention on projects in the health field. The Foundation supports those projects which primarily affect the people of the Province of British Columbia where there is clear indication of the health benefit anticipated.
This is the second leadership gift that the Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation has graced the East Kootenay Foundation for Health with. In 2006, the Woodward’s Foundation provided $75,000 in funding to EKFH to purchase a portable ophthalmology microscope for the East Kootenay Regional Hospital.
“I don’t think many people realize how many charitable foundations work together on various projects. Christine Alexander, Secretary/Treasurer of the Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation has been invaluable in linking up the requests from EKFH to their Board of Directors while ensuring that the mission and mandate of both of our organizations line up,” explains Donna Grainger, EKFH Executive Director.
It may be decades since Mr. Charles Woodward opened his first retail store but it is through the legacy of his son and his wife and their desire to think of others that truly is the beauty of the story.
Thank you to the Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation for being a part of the picture and for making history in completing the A Clear View campaign thirteen months ahead of schedule.
L-R: EKFH Executive Director Donna Grainger is joined by EKRH Diagnostic Imaging representatives Anthea Gill (Professional Practice Leader, DI) and Jan Race (Mammography Technician) to celebrate the arrival of $50,000 from the Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation donation for the A Clear View Campaign.